Application / Re enrolment for membership of the City of Belfast Youth Orchestra for the academic year commencing September 2017 is now OPEN
ADMISSION POLICY 2017-18
Applications and re-enrolments for the City of Belfast Youth Orchestra are invited on or before the closing date of Saturday 8th April 2017.
Students applying must be aged between 15 and 20 on 1st July 2017 (Consideration may be given to younger or older students}
Applicants should be playing at Grade 7standard or above.
The Application Process for New Applicants
Complete the City of Belfast School of Music Senior Department Form 2017-2018 - this is available by from CBSM Office 02890784200 or by emailing cbsm.info-BR@eani.org.uk
• Entry to CBYO is by competitive Audition
• Places in the Orchestra will be allocated depending on the number of places available in each section.
The Application Process for Existing Students
• Complete the City of Belfast School of Music Senior Department Form 2017-2018 this is available at CBYO rehearsals for those students who just attend CBYO. Forms will be given out during lessons to those who also receive their instrumental lesson in CBSM
• In the event of over subscription current members of the Orchestra may be required to audition.
• Places in the Orchestra will be allocated depending on the number of places available in each section
• Candidates should be prepared to play an own choice piece of the required standard (grade 7 or above)
• In advance of the audition process candidates will receive two orchestral excerpts which they should prepare with their teacher for the audition.
• Candidates will be expected to sight read from an orchestral work during the audition.
• Orchestral excerpts and sight reading will carry significant weighting in the overall marking scheme.
• Percussionists will be required to have experience on the full range of percussion instruments
• Please note an accompanist will not be provided or expected
Before applying please consider the following.
• Players are expected to attend all rehearsals during the academic year (Please see Terms and conditions)
Over Subscription-where the total number of students re-enrolled together with the number of new applicants exceeds the number of places available in a particular section places will be awarded in the first instance to existing members of the orchestra upon the application of the following criteria in the order below
Members who are 16 and under on 1st July 2017
• Members who have been in the orchestra for not more than 3 years at 1st September 2017
• Members who receive tuition on their instrument at CBSM
Remaining Places-if after the above criteria has been applied and there are still further places available preference will be given to new applicants who have attained the required standard of performance based on the audition. If there are two applicants with the same score the following criteria will be applied.
• Students currently
enrolled for tuition on their instrument at CBSM during 2016-2017
• Students currently enrolled on any course at CBSM during 2016-2017
• Preference to students on the basis of age eldest first
Please contact the relevant Head of Department or the Head of Music Service at The City of Belfast School of Music
Terms and Conditions
By accepting a place in the City of Belfast Youth Orchestra the applicant is agreeing to the following
• Weekly attendance at rehearsals and a consistent level of playing appropriate to the standard required for entry into the CBYO. The City of Belfast School of Music reserves the right to ask any member to re-audition for their place if it is felt that the student is not maintaining the required level of performance.
• Seating Auditions-all students after entry to the Orchestra will be required to play a piece of their own choice and a prepared orchestral excerpt to a panel that will be made up of the sectional tutors from the orchestra
• Leaders Position-the leaders position will be determined by a further audition. The panel for this audition will consist of the Conductor of the Orchestra, Head of Music Service and two of the Sectional Tutors from the orchestra